27 August 2009

texting OR driving - not both

Heather got her first mobile phone this past summer and in the course of the past couple of months has become a "power" texter. I'm just now figuring out how to get a space between two words, so that just goes to show exactly how much texting *I* do. Not a whole lot.

My mobile company has this nifty feature where I can send a text from my computer. That makes it a lot easier, and faster, for me to respond to Heather by text. Still I prefer to call, but I guess for whatever reason actually talking to someone isn't as effective or something. Must be an oldies thing.

Heather also got her driver's license not too long ago. Heather's a good driver, very conscientious and alert. While I'm in the car. I can only hope that those are her usual driving habits even when I'm not with her.

Personally I don't think mobile phones and cars are a good mix. If you want to use your phone, do me a favor and pull off the road; don't think for a minute you are capable of driving AND dialing or texting or whatever. I would prefer that my family or I do not become one of your victims, thank you very much.

When I was growing up we didn't have mobile phones, computers, iPods, or any of the other "must have" technology that is available today. Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing. While driving the only thing I had within reach to dink around with was the handle to roll the window up or down, the heater, or the radio. Since I lived in The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, NM we didn't even get radio reception most of the time so no use in dinking.

I think the video put out in Wales as a Public Service Announcement should be mandatory viewing for all drivers – not just teens – on the danger of texting while driving. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could text while driving and think it's not affecting their driving skills. Sorry folks, it's impossible for a human to look in two different places at the same time. It just ain't gonna happen. It's a chameleon thing, not a human thing. Never mind that both hands aren't on the steering wheel.

If you're a parent, a teen, know a teen, or are yourself a driver, I suggest you watch the video. Warning it is very graphic, but hopefully it will get the message across to some people.



I will now step down from my soapbox.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/218553500_b2ee528066.jpg?v=0

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I watched the video already on AOL. Really freaked me out, so it was defently effective. And I agree, cell phones and driving is like drinking and driving. DON'T do it. It isn't that hard to pull over and take ytour call or jsut wait till you park to answer that text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the day, I would smoke, drink a Diet Dr. Pepper, talk on the phone and drive a stick all at the same time---I should've been thrown in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I can't even describe the many ways in which I've driven in a not-really-advisable way, but my eyes are always on the road at least...

    With texting, your eyes are completely away, and that's just asking for it.

    ReplyDelete

If you've taken time to navigate here and read something, please let me know your thoughts – good, bad, or indifferent.