10 May 2010

summer please

It's hard to believe that just a few short months ago I was writing a blog on my daughter's trials and tribulations of going off to college.

Cruising along.

Cruising along.

Cruising along.

BAM!  She's home.  She survived her first year and came out with some pretty decent grades to boot.  Go Heather!

Of course the end of the school year means summer, right?

Wrong.

It means since we live in Colorado we'll be kept on our toes for the next few weeks with predictions of snow.  In fact this week some areas could see one to two FEET of snow.  Not inches.  FEET!

Luckily I don't think we live in that area.  I'm hoping anyway.

Over the past couple of months, we've been getting our yard prepped for the –

*drum roll please*

– VEGGIE GARDEN.  This has entailed a lot of work, and luckily for me, most of it done by other people.

Ted pulled all the rock up in the back yard.  The plan being to make part of the back yard a veggie bed and part of it for the dogs.  I paid to have dirt brought in.  Planting dirt to be exact.  You see there are many kinds of dirt, and you have to be specific with landscaping people what exactly it is you plan on doing with dirt.  I let them know I was planning a garden, so I got garden dirt.  I'm hopeful it's dirt that is going to produce scads of vegetables!

I also had pea gravel brought in and put down for the dogs.  They weren't too keen on walking on the river walk to do their thing, and our neighbors had pea gravel put in for their dog and it seemed to work.  Luckily for us, it's working too.  Otherwise I suspect the veggie garden would not be a veggie garden.

Kyna loves the pea gravel.  She loves digging in it.  She loves rolling in it.  She loves running it.  While sitting 20+ feet away I've been dinged on the head with pieces of it while she's tearing through it.  Must think about investing in a hard hat and safety glasses to wear while sitting outside.

Ted put up fencing around my perennial beds, herb bed, and veggie bed.  This fencing was my idea.  You know to keep the dogs out of the gardens.  I didn't want something so tall I couldn't get into the beds without dismantling the fence, and I didn't want something so elaborate that it would require a gate, so I chose mini picket fencing.  It's about 2' tall, and Ted warned me it wouldn't keep the dogs out.

He was right.  Fallon steps right over it.  Next time I'm getting wiener dogs.

So, now I will wait maybe not so patiently, until it's safe to plant the rest of the vegetables and herbs.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

1 comment:

  1. In Idaho we were told to wait until we saw no snow on the mountains. I waited and waited, planted and planted, it turned cold early, NO veggies to be had. GOOD LUCK! Carol

    ReplyDelete

If you've taken time to navigate here and read something, please let me know your thoughts – good, bad, or indifferent.